Track, Score, Qualify: The Winning Trio to (really) Prospect Effectively!
31 March 2017 • 3 min.
Tracking tools allow you to accurately analyze the behaviors of the visitors on your website. Coupled with lead scoring, the two become a powerful conversion machine. Goal: to better qualify your prospects to refine your web-marketing strategy and maximize your ROI.
What is Lead Scoring?
Lead scoring consists of measuring the maturity or "readiness" of a prospect by assigning a rating to it. Depending on this score, you will be able to select which sales action to take, with a much greater chance of hitting the bullseye.
Your mission as a web-marketer is to identify the right variables and to establish a scoring scale that lines up with the objectives and targets of your company.
Which Information Should be Tracked?
For good lead scoring, it is necessary to track 3 types of information:
- Obvious data, such as socio-demographic criteria (age, geographical area, occupation, sector of activity, size of company) or responses to a satisfaction questionnaire.
- Behavioral data, to deduce your visitors' actions on your site. For example: the amount of time they spent on your site, the number of pages they visited, and if they return regularly.
- Actions taken by the user: opening an e-mail, subscribing to a newsletter, downloading content, consulting the FAQ.
Which Scores Should Be Set for your Leads?
Regarding your marketing strategy and your ideal customer-type, certain information and actions have more value than others. You could set up a system like this one for example:
- Page Consultation rates: +10 points
- Subscription to a webinar: +20 points
- Unsubscribing from a newsletter: -5 points
This score will then be used to rank your leads according to their progress in the conversion process. The hottest leads (those with the most points) will be the ones most likely to respond favorably to your requests, saving so much time (and energy) for your sales team!
How to Nurture Leads According to their Score?
- 0 to 49 points = Cold leads: send an automatic email with interesting, quality content, to help your prospects to advance their reflection and maturity (e-book, brochure ...)
- 50 to 99 points = Warm leads: send an extra promotional push from the offers that they have already consulted
- 100 points and more = Hot leads: give them a call, they're ready!
This will save you precious time while perfecting your marketing and sales strategy.
Now, it's simply up to you! ;)